State Department Cautions Travelers Visiting Playa Del Carmen

Playa del Carmen: Mexico Travel Alert Issued By US

Security Alert - U. S. Embassy Mexico City, Mexico (March 7, 2018) | U.S. Embassy & Consulates in Mexico

The U.S. embassy in Mexico City issued a security alert yesterday advising American citizens that they had received information about a security threat and that effective immediately, U.S. Government employees are prohibited from travelling to Playa del Carmen until further notice.

The Canadian travel advisory for Playa del Carmen follows an alert from the US embassy in Mexico advising Americans of a potential security threat for the area, located on the east coast about 90 minutes south of Cancun.

US government employees are now not allowed to travel to the area until further notice. Last summer the State Department warned people traveling to Mexico about the possibly of tainted alcohol that led to serious illness and even death in some travelers.

Asked about the new alert, U.S. State Department spokeswoman Heather Nauert told ABC News that "we take our obligation to provide information to U.S. citizens seriously as evidenced by the clear, timely and reliable safety and security information we release worldwide".

The blast aboard the Caribbean ferry last month injured 25 people, two of which were American and three Canadian.

Shortly afterward, the U.S. Embassy said its employees were banned from using all tourist ferries on that route until further notice.

The state's Tourism Department said that the incidents may be related to the internal affairs of the ferry company that owned both boats, Barcos Caribe, which is owned by the father of government official Roberto Borge, who was extradited from Panama in January on charges of embezzlement and abuse of public office, BI reported. Travelers should contact the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate if they need assistance.

Playa del Carmen, in the Riveria Maya just south of Cancun, and other tourist regions have seen a sharp uptick in violence in recent months.

"We do not know the reason for the decision of the USA government to issue this statement", the office said, adding that it is ready to cooperate with the ensure the safety of USA tourists. The state of Quintana Roo also comes with a Level 2 warning.

The Quintana Roo Government issued a statement after the advisory was put in place saying that tourists will continue to be welcome. "Shooting incidents injuring or killing bystanders have occurred".

Latest News