Man Says AirPods 'Blew Up' On Him, Apple Investigating Claims

Apple is investigating why one AirPod caught on fire in Florida

Apple AirPods 'blew up' in man's ear while he was working out at the gym

A man in Florida claims that one of his Apple AirPods began smoking and later exploded. Colon told WFLA he was jamming out to a dance mix when white smoke started to billow out from the right pod's chassis.

But when he returned, the report continues, Colton was shocked to learn that his left AirPod had completely burnt to a crisp - though the right AirPod remained in-tact. It was already popped. "I don't know what would've happened to my ear, you know?"

"It's the craziest thing I ever went through", Colon told News Channel 8.

Apple says it is investigating the claims, which could have resulted in serious burns had the man not quickly removed the allegedly faulty gadget.

While we have experienced many situations where devices such as smartphones would blow up, the majority of them were the Galaxy Note 7 devices.


Worth pointing out is that while the inherent incident is likely to raise serious questions about AirPod safety, it's only the first of such incidents to affect AirPods - and we now have no reason to believe there's a broader, software, hardware or technical-related issue afoot. A few years ago, the Galaxy Note 7 caused massive losses for Samsung as they had to write off an entire generation of phones due to the battery exploding.

With the AirPods, Apple has created a bold new kind of wireless headphone, removing the annoyances of struggling to pair and remembering to turn them off to avoid battery drain.

Apple's AirPods are a one of a kind device, featuring advanced technology that no other company is now offering.

Thankfully, he reacted as soon as he sensed something was wrong.

This isn't the first case of a popular product bursting into flames.

Latest News